re-Markably re-Sponsible Program
What is the re-Markably re-Sponsible Program?
Introducing the Gear re-Store re-Markably re-Sponsible Program. A comprehensive post retail soft goods management program that supports sustainability within the outdoor industry.
Why do we need it?
- Textiles are one of the largest components of landfill mass. Textiles accounted for 6.3% of the 267.8 million tons of municipal solid waste generated in the U.S. in 2017.
- About 85% of end-of-life outdoor gear ends up in landfills.
- Outdoor garments – especially membranes – take longer to break down in a landfill and are therefore considered to be of special environmental concern.
How does it work?
Working in partnership with soft goods brands, Gear re-Store offers the following elements:
• Sometimes something comes from the factory and it is does not meet the quality standards for retail.
• Gear re-Store can either fix the factory flaw and re-package the garment so it is ready for retail sale, or we can take the garments and prepare them for off-sale through our on-line store or via brand partnerships.
• Make your outdoor gear last longer with quality technical repairs.
• Technical outerwear, sleeping bags, backpacks, tents.
• GORE certified repair centres in Canada and U.S.
• Make your gear perform better with technical laundry & DWR services.
• Top-of-the line laundry equipment with laundry cycles specifically programmed to get optimal results for DWR reapplications.
• Sometimes a consumer will have a perfectly functioning garment, but they have outgrown it, want to “move up”, or just simply got tired of the style or colour.
• Brand offers a “brand credit” (e.g., $20 credit for returning your garment, to be applied against purchases within the same brand family). Brand sends the garment to Gear re-Store who will do a technical clean, DWR reapplication (where appropriate), and repair (where needed), and take the garment for sale at its on-line store or return to the brand for off-sales.
• When a garment has truly come to the end of its useful life, Gear re-Store can take in these garments and make them into new garments by harvesting sections of fabric, and only disposing of the parts of the garment that cannot be used.
• Another option for end-of-life garments is to re-purpose fabrics into other soft goods, such as carry bags, hut booties, insulated hats, etc.
• Debranding service for removing corporate branding from garments in preparation for donation or distribution for non-warrantable use.
• When no re-commerce programs are feasible, Gear re-Store will support the donation of de-branded garments to those in need.
• Flocking and re-purposing of leftover scraps into other recycled products such as carpet underlay.
• Considerable reduction in landfill mass generation.
• Trade-in program encourages brand loyalty and drives additional sales.
• Correcting factory flaws reduces waste and helps drive revenues.
• Second-hand store provides additional revenue opportunities.